Looking for New Board Members!!
The West Seattle Helpline’s Board of Directors is responsible for ensuring the sustainability of the Helpline while supporting the Executive Director in providing assistance to our West Seattle neighbors in need. Participation on the Board is by invitation and is open to members of our community who are willing and excited about utilizing their individual skills to help improve the lives of our neighbors here in West Seattle.
The Helpline Board is best described as a working board. Members are all volunteers and contribute varying amounts of time (generally 5 – 10 hours per month). In addition to the larger board, there is a 4-person executive committee. These four positions are elected annually from the current members of the larger board.
Board Member Responsibilities:
Key activities include:
§ Attending monthly board meetings
§ Event planning
§ Professional assistance
§ Community outreach
Board members are critical advocates for the Helpline here in the greater West Seattle community. Participation in activities is based on the individual board member’s interest and skills. In addition to monthly meetings, further communication is often electronic.
A prerequisite for effective board members is the willingness to implement a passion for helping West Seattle neighbors into action. This process requires dedication, creativity, involvement and perseverance. The reality is that the need is greater than our available resources. Regardless, the primary focus is to help as many of the working poor in our community as possible; keeping individuals and families in their homes, kids in school and adults working.
Tara Byrne, Executive Director, has the challenging task of coordinating an appropriate response to each incoming request while managing a group of dedicated volunteers.
Board Member Information:
For more information on becoming a Helpline Board member and to receive a board application please contact Tara Byrne at email@example.com.
Our volunteers are the heart of our organization. We could not do our work without them. We have ongoing opportunities for weekly volunteering.
- Clothesline: Our Clothesline offers free new or gently used clothing to families in need. Volunteers can choose to either work on Tuesdays sorting and stocking donated clothing or may volunteer to help families find clothing at our Clothesline.
- Phone Volunteers: We also offer volunteers the opportunity to work directly with West Seattle residents who call in and request assistance. These volunteers answer phones, gather information and make referrals. If you are interested in talking with callers and helping them move their lives towards self-sufficiency, we would love to hear from you. Please contact our Executive Director, Tara Byrne.
If you are interested in becoming a West Seattle Helpline volunteerplease contact Tara Luckie, Executive Director.
Become a Supporter
The Helpline puts on two fundraising events each year, The Taste of West Seattle in the Spring and the Dinner Fundraiser in Fall. But there is no need to wait for a special event. People are in need all year round, and your contributions are always welcome. To help, feel free to:
- Send checks to the mailing address on our contact page.
- We also accept credit card donations by clicking the Make a Donation
- Want to give regularly? We can set up an automatic monthly charge to your account. Please contact us if you're interested.
The West Seattle Helpline is a registered 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization. Charitable contributions are tax deductible in accordance with tax laws.